Privacy Notice for EGA Public Website
This Privacy Notice explains what personal data is collected by the specific EMBL-EBI service you are requesting, for what purposes, how it is processed, and how we keep it secure.
1. Who controls your personal data and how to contact us?
The data controller’s contact details are the following and should be used only for data protection queries:
Rolf Apweiler and Ewan Birney, EMBL-EBI Directors Email: email@example.com EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus, CB10 1SD Hinxton, Cambridgeshire, UK.
The EMBL Data Protection Officer’s contact details are:
EMBL Data Protection Officer Tel: +49 6221 387-0 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org EMBL Heidelberg, Meyerhofstraße 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany.There are organisations outside EMBL involved in providing the service and processing personal data.
The Centre for Genomic Regulation data controller’s contact details are:
Centre for Genomic Regulation (NCBI) Jordi Rambla Email: email@example.com Centre for Genomic Regulation, Dr.Aiguader 88, 08003 Barcelona, Spain.
2. Which is the lawful basis for processing personal data?
Legitimate interests. To allow the day-to-day management, operation and functioning of the service provided by the data controllers.
3. What personal data is collected from users of the service? How do we use this personal data?
We collect the following personal data from users of the service:
- IP addresses
- Date and time of a visit to the service website
- Operating system
- Amount of data transmitted
- Email address (only when support is requested by the user)
The data controller will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To provide the user access to the service
- To better understand the needs of the users and guide future improvements of the service
- To conduct and monitor data protection activities
- To create anonymous usage statistics
- To conduct and monitor security activities
4. Who will have access to your personal data?
The personal data will be disclosed to:
- Authorised staff in the data controller’s institutions.
5. Will your personal data be transferred to third countries (i.e. countries not part of EU/EEA) and/or international organisations?
There are no personal data transfers to third countries or international organisations.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
Any personal data directly obtained from you will be retained as long as the service is live, even if you stop using the service. We will keep the personal data for the minimum amount of time possible to ensure legal compliance and to facilitate internal and external audits if they arise.
7. The joint Data Controllers provide these rights regarding your personal data
You have the right to:
- Not be subject to decisions based solely on an automated processing of data (i.e. without human intervention) without you having your views taken into consideration.
- Request at reasonable intervals and without excessive delay or expense, information about the personal data processed about you. Under your request we will inform you in writing about, for example, the origin of the personal data or the preservation period.
- Request information to understand data processing activities when the results of these activities are applied to you.
- Object at any time to the processing of your personal data unless we can demonstrate that we have legitimate reasons to process your personal data.
- Request free of charge and without excessive delay rectification or erasure of your personal data if we have not been processing it respecting the data protection policies of the respective controllers.
It must be clarified that rights 4 and 5 are only available whenever the processing of your personal data is not necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Perform a task carried out in the public interest.
- Exercise authority as a data controller.
- Archive for purposes in the public interest, or for historical research purposes, or for statistical purposes.
- Establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
June 12, 2018 - 16:45